Over the last 20 years I have met fascinating people and seen amazing sights across the world, however most of these trips were fitted in around work and annual leave. I decided I wanted to take a more substantial break and from March 27 to July 1 2017 I went on an exciting trip of a lifetime.
About my 2017 trip
From start to finish the trip lasted 97 days, see my Grand Adventure Map (pdf). Here’s what I did:
- I took in the sights of the Himalayas on a trek with Xtreme Everest, see my Base Camp Map (pdf);
- enjoyed home-cooked meals at my cousin’s in Singapore;
- rode the Shinkansen (Japanese bullet train) and attempted to learn the art of meditation at a zen monastery in Japan;
- explored active volcanoes and went on a 2.5km zip-lining experience in Nicaragua;
- visited the equator in Ecuador;
- volunteered with kids in the Galapagos teaching music and English;
- watched a tango show in Buenos Aires;
- had fun working on a farm in Uruguay cattle ranching;
- was awed by the great Iguassu Falls in Argentina;
- relaxed on beautiful beaches in Brazil and finally made it to Rio to see Christ the Redeemer at sunset before boarding my plane back to London.
About Xtreme Everest
The Everest Base Camp trek was with a medical research team, Xtreme Everest, whose research work aims to improve outcomes for people who become critically ill. I am raising money for them as they are are a charity and rely on donations for their research. If you would like to donate please go to my JustGiving page. Many thanks – and thank you to all of you who have already donated!
Book me for a talk!
I’m now giving lectures about various parts of my trip, if you would like me to come and talk at your school, society or club please contact me at: email@example.com
Share my experiences
- Find out: why I decided to do the trip and how I put my itinerary together
- Read: all about my adventures in my travel diary (in progress)
- Read: my ‘Volunteer Story’ about my experiences teaching in the Galapagos with Projects Abroad
- View: my photo book of the whole trip on Photobox
New adventure later this year: Ethiopia!
**Intern placement for 2 weeks as a journalist on an English language newspaper in Addis Ababa, and then an expedition to the Danakil Depression to visit Erta Ale (an active lava lake in “one of the driest, lowest and hottest places on earth“).**