Over the last 20 years I have met fascinating people and seen amazing sights across the world, however most of these trips were fitted in around work and annual leave. I decided I wanted to take a more substantial break and at the end of March 2017 I went on an exciting trip of a lifetime.
Around the world in 97 days …
- See my Grand Adventure Map (pdf) for the route
Here’s what I did:
- took in the sights of the Himalayas on a trek with Xtreme Everest, see my Base Camp Map (pdf);
- enjoyed home-cooked meals at my cousin’s in Singapore;
- rode the Shinkansen (Japanese bullet train) and attempted to learn the art of meditation at a zen monastery in Japan;
- explored active volcanoes and went on a 2.5km zip-lining experience in Nicaragua;
- visited the equator in Ecuador;
- volunteered with kids in the Galapagos teaching music and English;
- watched a tango show in Buenos Aires;
- had fun working on a farm in Uruguay cattle ranching;
- was awed by the great Iguassu Falls in Argentina;
- relaxed on beautiful beaches in Brazil and finally made it to Rio to see Christ the Redeemer at sunset before boarding my plane back to London.
- Why I decided to do the trip and how I put my itinerary together: see the 2017: Inspiration page
- What adventures I got up to on my travels: see the 2017: Travel Diary page (in progress)
Share my experiences:
- See – articles about my travels and fundraising on the Xtreme Everest website, February 2017 & September 2018
- Enjoy – my ‘Volunteer Story’ about my experiences teaching in the Galapagos with Projects Abroad
- View – my photo book of the whole trip on Photobox
About Xtreme Everest:
I did the Everest Base Camp trek with a medical research team, Xtreme Everest, whose research work aims to improve outcomes for people who become critically ill. They are a charity and rely on donations for funding and I was very pleased to raise £700 via my my JustGiving page. The page has now closed, many thanks to everyone who donated!
Book me for a talk!
I’m now giving lectures about various parts of my trip, if you would like me to come and talk at your school, society or club please contact me.